Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fall; The Season of Abundance

The fall is a beautiful time of the year to be Gluten Free. It might not seem that way when starting out but it really is. All of the best veggies are ready for harvest and for the most part, the big family get-togethers focus on turkey and chicken now that it is cool enough to get the oven going.

Thanksgiving and Christmas both have an abundance of options as long as you stay away from the stuffing and the dessert table. Many Gluten-Free breads actually make the best stuffing because of their texture.

Fall is also zucchini season and there are soooo many things you can do with zucchini. I slice it into strips and use it in place of pasta noodles in sauce. Sometimes I take a large zucchini to the mandolin slicer and cut into large "noodles" for lasagna. Just keep in mind that they do not soak up liquid like pasta does so keep it a little drier.

In the fall/winter I make a full roasted chicken at least once a week. I love the smell in the house while it roasts and since I am only feeding Jonny and I, we have lots of leftovers. I am able to make enough chicken salad for the first part of the week and broth to last the full week. The day after we roast chicken, I like to make a giant Chicken Caesar Salad or Greek Salad even! Jonny gets a full breast and a leg for his lunch on Monday with leftover veggies. It really works out perfect!

The time is almost here for me to get out my canning supplies and get started. Last year I canned tomato sauce, peaches, spicy beans and jalapenos and I learned so much along the way. This year I plan to do things a little different. First off, I am going to dehydrate more items. I love dried fruit as a snack and it takes up far less space than the jarred kind. I am not going to can any jalepenos as I made way too many last year.  It was also and extremely painful process when the heat started coming through the gloves!

Fall is upon us! Feel happy as it signifies more than the oncoming winter. It is harvest, one of the most abundant times of the year for produce! Keep your chin up and a smile on your face because all your favorite foods are ready for you to create into a culinary masterpiece!

Happy Almost-Fall Everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment