Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Hot Millet Breakfast


Millet is an very versatile, non-glutinous grain that is great served savory or sweet. When cooked it has the consistency of rice and tends to not stick together. As a savory dish it is awesome when boiled with some chicken or beef stock.




Personally, I love it as a hot breakfast cereal which I sometimes mix half and half with quinoa. Hot breakfast cereal is a great way to fit in all the allowed grains you can. I find that I enjoy it most when there is a variety of grains to mix in.



This morning I made it with some flax seeds and cinnamon and it hit the spot. I like to sweeten it a bit which can be hard with the sugar restrictions. Sometimes I mash some banana up into it or add fresh fruit.




1/2 cup millet
2    Tbsp flax seeds
1    cup water
1    tsp cinnamon

Bring the cup of water to a boil and add the millet, flax and cinnamon to the water. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. The millet should be soft. Add a little coconut oil if you have it and some stevia. I use a little coconut milk around it but there are conflicting views on coconut milk.



No comments:

Post a Comment