Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Gluten Free Pumpkin Soup


In the fall I was making a batch of pumpkin seeds at the end of the season. The woman who worked the local pumpkin farm told me to take all the pumpkins I could handle... for free! The trick is going a week after Halloween to do your pumpkin shopping! My intention was to gut a few to roast the seeds and throw the flesh to the chickens. But once she helped me fill up my trunk I knew I had way too many. I took the flesh out of them and put them in freezer bags for later use.

All winter I was sneaking pumpkin into chili, pasta sauce and soups. It has a wonderful texture and makes soups smooth and creamy and adds a ton of extra vitamins. Here is a recipe I found for pumpkin soup. Sometimes I season it a little different to suit the meal but this is a great recipe just the way it is!







Ingredients:
1    small pumpkin (about 3 cups pumpkin pulp)
2    Tbsp butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
4    cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg


To Make Pumpkin Puree:
1) Preheat over to 375F. Wash pumpkin, cut in half and remove the insides. Place cut-side-down on the baking sheet or oven rack and bake for 40 minutes or until soft.
2)Scrape out the insides and puree in the blender.

To Make the Soup:
1) Saute the onions in the butter in a soup pot until onions are translucent.
2) Add the stock, spices and pumpkin. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve hot with some GF crackers or bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment