Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hot Breakfast Cereal

Try changing up the measurements in this recipe to incorporate all your favorites. There is a brand of Old Mill that has a breakfast cereal similar to this but I enjoy making my own combination (and saving some money).

1    cup brown rice
1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 cup millet
1/2 cup buckwheat groats
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup amaranth

1) Grind up everything except cornmeal and amaranth. This can be done in a coffee grinder or a mortar and pestle. Put the mixture in a jar or bag to have ready whenever you want some.

2) Stir 1 cup of the grain mix into 4 cups of salted, boiling water and cook for 20 minutes until all the grains are soft. Serve with fresh berries, custard or cinnamon sugar.

If I know I will be rushed in the morning I pop it into the rice cooker and let it do its thing while I get ready. A rice cooker is a great friend when working with grains, beans, lentils or rice on a regular basis. I hope you enjoy!




Gluten Free Me on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment